WELCOME TO OUR LIBRARY
I am the library.
I am neither walls nor shelves, nor even the books that
stand in rows.
I am the wisdom of the universe, captured and
arranged for you.
I am an open door.
Library Media Center Curriculum Rationale
The Franklin School District's school library media centers believe that education is a continuous process in the physical, emotional and intellectual development of students. Through education, all students are afforded the opportunity to become life-long learners, effective users of information, creators of new ideas and contributing members of society. The libraries recognize that all students possess varying abilities, learning styles and maturation levels. Thus, our libraries are extensions of the classrooms that become integral parts of our students" education as they master basic skills, evaluate information, and seek solutions to issues. Our libraries are the hubs for educational activities. Also, our libraries provide a safe environment and the necessary resources for students to experiment and utilize new skills, information and ideas at their level of attainment. In essence, our libraries enhance the many programs within the school curriculum that ultimately benefits the educational process for all our students.
Library Media Center Curriculum Goals
The following goals are established as a guide to meet the National Library Standards.
- Serve as an integral part of the District’s school-wide curriculum, assisting staff, administration, and students in the learning process.
- Integrate information literacy skills into research/project-based activities in the different content areas through the collaboration of Teacher and LMS.
- Provide opportunities for students to expand their experiential interest levels, develop proficient skills at information retrieval and become informed citizens.
- Motivate and guide students in the use of a variety of print and nonprint materials.
- Provide opportunities for students to develop life-long reading habits.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive collection that is timely and based upon the abilities, interests and informational needs of students and teachers.
- Support teaching and learning by providing intellectual and physical access to information.
Franklin Middle School Library is a totally integrated library with 12 new thin-client computers for students to use, along with a Laptop mobile cart that can used anywhere in the building. Our library is easily accessible to all of our students/teachers during the day. We have approximately 8000 volumes available for checkout in our collection, along with a variety of CD’s, Videos, and kits which are available for classroom use.My mission as a librarian at Franklin is to promote literacy, support and collaborate with our teachers in educating our students, and to help our students become life-long learners.