Attendance Policy/State School Attendance Laws
ATTENDANCE, ABSENTEEISM AND TRUANCY
See Policy JH
1. Notify the school if a student is to be absent on any school day.
2. Send a note to school upon the child’s return stating the date(s) of absence(s) and the reason.
3. For extended absences, parent will provide school with a note from a physician stating the absences
In Accordance with Policy JH the administration will follow the following procedures regarding the issue of truancy:
- All attendance will be monitored and parents are expected to notify attendance secretary if student will not be in school. If the school is not notified, the school will attempt to contact parents or listed contacts to verify student’s absence. Please note that after three attempts, the school will not attempt any further inquiries.
- At three (3) unexcused absences, administration will send a letter home notifying parents of accumulated absences, accompanied with list of all dates, and it will be the duty of the parent to contact the school to resolve the issue of the child’s attendance.
- At seven (7) unexcused absences, administration will send a letter home notifying parents of accumulated absences along with a referral to complete the truancy reduction program with the Merrimack County Juvenile Diversion Program. Notification will also be sent to the Superintendent of Schools. The truancy officer will do a home visit.
- At ten (10) unexcused absences, administration will send a letter home notifying parents of accumulated absences. The truancy officer will do a home visit. The Division of Child, Youth and Family Services will be contacted and there will be a consultation with a Juvenile Probationary and Parole Officer.